2 Vs. 1

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by SE, Jan 29, 2009.

1. SE

SE
    [OP]

So, we have been thinking about getting another pup! I am worried, how did it fare out for others on here.. who had one dog initally and brought home another?
    Should we take Paisley to meet this dog first, or should we try to get the same breed as her? I don't want to make her sad by bringing another puppy home, but I think she will like it more... someone to play with all day while we are at work.

Ideas? Suggestions?

2. bossman

we brought our Boxer that we had for 3 years to meet Chopper, they both pretty much ignored each other which is what we wanted as Kelly isnt the hyper type of Boxer.

We brought him home on condition from the lady that we had 24hrs in case something went wrong... well so far so good...dont regret it one bit....actually quite glad that we did cause it made a friend for Kelly so when she wants to play she goes and bugs him instead of us LOL

3. SE

SE
    [OP]

This is what we are hoping for :x: :kekeke:

4. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

:lol: @ "we"

:kekeke:

5. SE

SE
    [OP]

:rofl: Brian isin't totally against it anymore. I get the look now, not the no way Stacy.

6. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

Ah the ol "you were less mad at the end of the conversation than at the beginning" trick. My friend pulled that with a motorcycle. We laughed. She didn't.

7. Scott

rawr

Yeah, its best to let them met outside the house, at say a park or something, a neutral ground. Take them for a walk together, and walk them home together.

Dogs will usually work out their pecking order, and its best to let them do it themselves, as long as it doesn't get violent. Then you need to step in and let them know you wont tolerate that sort of behavior.

Make sure you give your pup lots of attention too.

8. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

Agreed... I do however go in order of appearance (:kekeke:) for everything - feeding, treats, pees, etc. Mine do not fight.

I will say that I waited far too long going from dog 1 to dog 2. Zoe was 4.5ish and she didn't enjoy it at all. She's okay now but it was rough at first, she was really upset when I got Chilli. Luckily Paisley is young so it shouldn't affect her too much. I would recommend getting a male this time though. Easier for them to get along. It's harder to get "bitches" to get along than any other combination - or so that's been my experience. As I said mine don't fight but certainly my girls are wayyyyyy more accepting of males!

As well I will say I prefer having multiple dogs for many reasons. When we were both working and we wanted to go out at night we never felt guilty for leaving in the evening after being gone all day, because they are social creatures. Now we don't do that alot but I always felt guilty. Now it's no big deal because they do have each other. I will never have just one dog again. I love watching them interact, it's very entertaining and very relaxing!!

Good luck hun! :)

9. SE

SE
    [OP]

Oh gosh, this is more worry than anything.
    What if they fight when we leave them alone for the first time?
    Is it best to get another young dog?
    There is one we want to look at at the humane society, but are afraid getting an older dog won't work well with Paisley. She is very needy.
    Would it be best to get another Chi, or can we look at other options?

THanks for the info guys and thanks Bitch for the info about getting a male. :bigup:

10. SE

SE
    [OP]

Who has had two dogs and had a baby? Do they gang up? :kekeke:

11. SE

SE
    [OP]

I also don't want Paisley going around humping a male :kekeke: She is a horny little thing.

12. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

All this reallllllllllly depends on both dogs personalities. Getting another chi isn't necessary. You just need the right personality. An older dog with a personality to match Paisley's will be great! :)

I would HIGHLY recommend separating them for a while when you are not home. Best to do that than let anything happen and you can't control it and then damage is done.

13. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

Nope, can't help you there :lol: But have friends who have more than that and big crazy dogs and they are all a-ok :)

She can do this with a female too ;)

Stop the humping though if she starts or the new dog starts. It's a dominance thing and not so much a sexual thing. This can with the wrong dog cause them to feel as though they have to defend themselves. There is absolutely never any humping in our house allowed. And if anyone tries they get in big shit. ;)

14. SE

SE
    [OP]

She humps a stuffed dog right now, we try to scold her in between laughs. haha

15. Shellie

Team Suzuki

:eek3: Even Casey??

16. Elcoopto

17. B!tch

So damn Nug-a-licious

depends on my mood :kekeke:

18. Shellie

Team Suzuki

19. Scott

rawr

:werd: Its best if you can seperate them at first. Crate the new pup (should be crate training anyways) when you cant watch them.

Bitch has the right idea on things. If you read her posts, she always chooses a pup that will fit in with the pooches she has now. Most good breeders will do this as well. They learn about your lifestyle and choose a puppy that the feel will suit you. IE a submissive pup to a family, vs a more dominate pup to an experienced owner.

And I agree, get a male to go with your female.