10 grand in parking tickets

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Ed, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Ed

Ed
    [OP]

Woman racks up $10,000 in parking tickets
    By ALISON AULD

HALIFAX (CP) - A call-centre employee who accumulated more than $10,000 in parking tickets got a bit of a break Friday after pleading with a judge that her own stupidity led to the doozy of a bill.

Allison Graham conceded that she exercised "poor judgment" when she let 229 tickets she collected over two years go unpaid, raising her total fine to a whopping $10,235.

"I just didn't think," said Graham, clutching her hands behind her back and near tears as she spoke to the judge. "I wish I had."

Graham, 24, of Halifax, said she took out the maximum loan she could to begin paying off her debt and had stopped parking on the downtown street where she had collected most of the $15 tickets.

Justice James Burrill said that because she had already paid $6,860 toward her court costs, he would remit $14 of the ticket price. The decision means Graham will have to pay $1 per ticket for a total of $229.

"I'm very grateful," Graham said before leaving the court and dodging a bank of TV cameras and reporters. "I feel like a moron. It was my own stupid fault."

Had she paid them within the given time frame, Graham's fine would have been $3,435. But the amount of each ticket went to $45 from $15 because they weren't paid within a certain time and took on late payment fees and interest.

Graham said she didn't pay the fines on time because she wasn't making much money at the time and foolishly kept parking on the same street.

"I don't have a lot of money and it just spiralled downward," she said outside the courthouse, before running off to avoid approaching TV cameras. "But I was planning on dealing with it."

Graham went before the court earlier in the week hoping to get the fine reduced under the Remission of Penalties Act, which allows people to argue they are unable to pay their fines. But the judge said he wasn't prepared to cut her any slack until some money had been put down.

The prosecutor also argued that if Graham was allowed to pay less under the act it would lead to a flood of people claiming they can't pay their bills.

"It's something that might create more of a floodgate," said Donna Keats, a municipal prosecutor. "I think Mrs. Graham's hardship was due to her own inaction."

Graham admitted that her car was recently impounded because she let her vehicle permit expire. The prosecutor also said Graham had collected two more tickets in the few days between her court appearances.

:rofl:
    what a dumbass

2. Dream Weaver

WWEEEEEE

3. SilverMan

The Spud

it gets better. I know she paid $6800 in fines. Then the court reduced her fine to $1 per ficket for the rest.

Between her court appearances, she tog a few more tickets and her car was impounded because she didn't renew her registration.!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Lex Lucas

feels good.

Thats stupid, she should have to pay the whole amount. I hate it when people get off like that.

5. HW

HW

What a fucking tit. Stupid women drivers.

6. ~La~Aruca~

try to lick ur elbow

she musta looked for places ur not allowed to park in, cuz thats just a insane amount of tickets

7. LeMar

UGLY BUTCH

I bet she was blonde!

8. ~La~Aruca~

try to lick ur elbow

or blind

9. Dream Weaver

WWEEEEEE

Hey!!! :finger: :lol: Ok I guess I have my moments. :confused: