Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Runners

White Man in a Black Suit Horsman's Avatar
    Rep
    I'm actually a little disappointing in myself. I really haven't been running at all since I started this renovation on my apartment - barely finding time to squeak into the gym when i can. I need to get back on it.

Rep
    It's always tough to schedule in runs when you're busy. You have to make it a priority. I have a bathroom renovation going on in my house that I started 3 months ago - really only a long weekend's worth of work, but when it comes to my spare time, I'll choose a run or a bike ride first - the bathroom will get done eventually.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    I've been running the Bedford-sackville trail along the river. Great spot!

Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I've been running the Bedford-sackville trail along the river. Great spot!
    That's where I went this morning! I like the trail, but, and I can't believe I'm saying this, it's not hilly enough. The next race I have coming up includes a steep climb up a mountain; I need hills even when I'm not "hill training".

I'll keep an eye out for you running around Bedford - when are you usually out?
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    I go week days at like 9-10. I work shift work so that can change.

Rep
    18k out the Purcell's Cove Road this morning. Great morning for a run, nice and cool - got home, sun came out and things warmed up. Too muggy now!

BlueNose 10k next weekend, then the Cabot Trail the next.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    Another May weekend, my 3rd time at the Cabot Trail Relay is in the bag. I say the same thing every year - Best. Weekend. Ever. It's such an awesome experience to take part in.

I ran Leg 17 this year, which is the final leg that ends in Baddeck. It was renamed this year to the Steve Dunn Leg in honor of Steve, who died while running the leg last year. Many people also refer to this leg as the Glory Leg since you end in Baddeck where everyone has gathered since this is the end of the relay. This is the hardest run I've ever completed; some of the hills were brutal and I did a poor job of pacing to start the race, so I was dying on some of the later hills. I think I set a PB in the first 5k (of 19.5k), which is always a bad sign! It was tough not to go out hard at the beginning - looking around at the 70 other runners at the beginning of the leg, there were not many runners there that I knew i could beat. A lot of teams give leg 17 to their best runner to anchor the run and finish strong. I got caught up in that and took off at a 4:30min/km pace, which is way too fast for me.

I did regulate my pace better after that, but I still hit some walls on 2 hills at 13 and 15km where I actually dropped to a walk (only for 15 seconds each time, but I was mad at myself!). Coming into the final kilometre, I did manage to pass one other final runner - we bumped fists on my way by and gave each other a big hug at the end.

Coming into Baddeck to the finish is pretty awesome and you can see why they call it the Glory Leg. My arms got sore in the final 400 meter stretch - a chute is formed with tons of people and you reach out and high five your way in. I actually had to stop doing that - way to many stiff arms causing me to almost fall - I just wanted to get across the mat!

All in all, I needed a bit more training I think, but I still did an overall 5:03min/km pace, which is not too shabby, especially on those hills.

I'm also either really motivated or really stupid as I've volunteered myself for Leg 4 next year already - running over Smokey. It's probably the 3rd toughest leg with #1 being the run over North Mountain, #2 being the run up MacKenzie.

If you're a runner and want an amazing experience, get yourself on a team for next year! There are always teams looking for runners!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    slowly building up my running endurance so i can and finish strong and tough mudder event. 10-12 mile with obstacles. Thought about signing up for the tartan twosome but its all filled up.

Rep
    Those Tough Mudders look nuts. A friend just did one north of Toronto; it's not the running that makes it hard!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    thats why its next year and not this year lol . after this summer i will have done 2 warrior dash's, a spartan race and a mud hero. they are all around 5-6km races though..

Rep
    Ran the 5k run in an IWK fundraiser this morning. It was"just a fun run", but I went for it - placed 5th for the men (7th overall) with a 22:08 time. During training runs, I think my fastest 5k had been just under 25:00 so I was surprised. I'd never actually competed in a 5k race - fun to basically be able to go flat out without worrying about having something left in the tank for the next 15k!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Blinky
    Rep
    I've been doing REALLY well on the couch 2 5k program... until today. My knees are absolutely killing me. It feels like I need to pop them... So pissed. I just bought some nice new running shoes yesterday! Just my luck

Hoping this passes by Tuesday so I don't lose my momentum.
    n00balici0s

Rep
    http://www.zombietrailrun.ca/

theres a 'zombie" run in waverly sept 28th.

Rep
    After not running or even being at the gym for almost a week because of some strained muscles in my legs (remembering to stretch more now). I cranked out my goal distance of 3 mile in 27 mins. Its the first time I reached that distance with out having to stop.

Now I just need to keep that distance and work on the pace and include burpees throughout the run.

Rep
    I'm up to 7 k with no pain, I have a half on September in eastern passage so hoping for a km a week increase to get ready for it.

Blinky
    Rep
    Tried to run tonight after 2 weeks since my injury. MAde it 10 seconds before I had mega stabbing pain... So discouraged
    n00balici0s

Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jani* View Post
    Tried to run tonight after 2 weeks since my injury. MAde it 10 seconds before I had mega stabbing pain... So discouraged
    I also tried doing the same, I had to start walking at a quick pace and after a few times moved back up to a jog. Dont get discouraged, its only a minor setback

Blinky
    Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Daver View Post
    I also tried doing the same, I had to start walking at a quick pace and after a few times moved back up to a jog. Dont get discouraged, its only a minor setback
    After not rushing it, I ran yesterday at bootcamp. No pain!!! It is sore today, but I plan to ice it once I get home.
    n00balici0s

Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jani* View Post
    After not rushing it, I ran yesterday at bootcamp. No pain!!! It is sore today, but I plan to ice it once I get home.
    Are you using any other program besides couch to 5 k? like nike+fitness on ipod?

Blinky
    Rep
    Nope, and not going to jump into the c25k just yet..
    I'm going to work my way up to it again. maybe start with 30 second intervals and see how the old knee holds up. Had another acupuncture treatment tonight and after a bit of yoga I'm going to throw some ice on it.
    n00balici0s

Rep
    I wish I'd started training for a triathlon a long time ago. I went out for what I wanted to be a slow run this morning, would get into a groove and think to myself, "Yep, slower than normal. This is a good pace". Then, I'd check my watch and see that I was going what I used to consider race pace.

I think the biking and swimming has been developing the muscles that used to scream at me to slow down. I'll take it! I'm still not super fast compared to others, but I'm happy with what I saw this morning if it's an indication of improvements to come!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Thread Information