Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Runners

White Man in a Black Suit Horsman's Avatar
    Rep
    put dwn a nice comfortable 8 km in 35 mins on Saturday night. Next goal is 11 km in 49 mins... building to 18km in 1 hour 21 to try for that 135 in the Bluenose!

Rep
    Nice!

I am finally back running after recovering from a calf tear... And then my knee went wonky on a run the other night. I played basketball on it tonight and it seemed mostly OK.

No big goals for BlueNose this year - running in the Cabot Trail Relay the weekend after, so focused on that. Running a 2am leg, so that could be tough!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    So, after a couple of weeks running through pain, taking time off, then trying running, only to find the pain come back, I made it into my Osteopath and am now rapidly recovering from an IT Band issue. Any time these issues come up, I learn more and more just how important core strength is for running - in this case, the muscles in and around my hips (glutes, etc) aren't strong enough, and it causes the IT Band to be overworked. With that in mind, I know have 2 routines I'm adding in daily - they're both short, so I'm trying the "get up 30 minutes earlier than normal" to get them in. Both are from the same website and I have to say they're helping me a lot. At the moment, the IT Band recovery one is especially paying benefits:

Core Strength routine for runners:

http://strengthrunning.com/2012/01/t...demonstration/

IT Band Recovery:

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/t...demonstration/

Dealing with injuries is just a pain in the ass (or, in this case, knee). It's time for me to put the time in and do what I can to keep them away for good.

On top of these routines, I'm also using a roller on the band all the way up into the glute - it feels amazing after the initial twinge of pain. I think anyone walking outside the room when I'm using it would think I'm having sex with the sounds I've found myself making while using it, thought! That, and ice on the knee. After basically being limited to about 5k for the last 2-3 weeks before pain stopped me, I did 9k yesterday morning. I was aiming for 10, but was probably overly zealous. Pain stopped me at 9, but I was on pace for one of my fastest 10's ever.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    I've been working towards running the Bluenose 1/2 and I've been doing 10K day 1, 5k day 2, and off day 3. If I feel good I do more. I have lot to pack into a couple months but it's really starting to take a toll on my left thigh in the back just above my knee.

Do any of you use any support for your knees/legs? If so, what are you using?

That's what I've been using. Not sure if it's what I need however.

Rep
    Kayla - "Left thigh in the back just above my knee" sounds like an IT Band:

I would definitely get it checked out by a physiotherapist or an osteopath - that support isn't doing anything, IMO. Check out my link above for an IT Band Recovery workout above - do that about 2-3 times a week, plus use a roller to stretch out the muscle about 2-3 times a day along with icing.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I'm taking a couple days off right now to see how it feels. A friend of mine has already mentioned I should try out a roller.

Thank you!

Rep
    If it's IT Band, a couple of days off wont really help. I'm not a doctor, though, so I could be wrong - just going by my personal experience lately. I'm also closing in on 38, so recovery for me is likely a lot harder than it would be for you!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    foam rolling on the IT band hurts like a bitch. fyi

Rep
    Hurts, but helps!!
    If I have to explain it, you don't understand

Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    foam rolling on the IT band hurts like a bitch. fyi
    I use one of these...

If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be.

Rep
    mine doesnt have the nubs. I know the more you do it, the less it hurts, better it feels. But damn that first time...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylahaha View Post
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I'm taking a couple days off right now to see how it feels. A friend of mine has already mentioned I should try out a roller.

Thank you!
    IT goes down the side of your leg, not the back. IT band is lateral not medial. That sounds like a hamstring.
    Last edited by unidentifiable; 03-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by unidentifiable View Post
    IT goes down the side of your leg, not the back. IT band is lateral not medial. That sounds like a hamstring.
    "left thigh in the back just above my knee" sounds exactly where the IT Band, especially when describing pain from it.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    I was having issues with my IT band during my runs last year....could run about 2k before it would really start to ache....it wasn't in my thigh at all....it was an ache in the side of my knee. I am no doctor though...soooooo....

Quote Originally Posted by HairyAss View Post
    "left thigh in the back just above my knee" sounds exactly where the IT Band, especially when describing pain from it.
    She said back, and IT runs down the side, I'm not sure how the back of your leg and the side are the same thing?
    IT band connects here

back would be
    hamstrings (semi-membranosus and semi-tendinosus)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiltzy View Post
    I was having issues with my IT band during my runs last year....could run about 2k before it would really start to ache....it wasn't in my thigh at all....it was an ache in the side of my knee. I am no doctor though...soooooo....
    No one here is doctor ahaha.

I've stretched/torn mine, I asked the fiance who is in Kinesiology and works at the Physioclinic soooooo that's my best guess.

Rep
    Your thigh muscles are on the front of your leg (at least that is how it is mostly perceived), so when describing the back of the thigh muscle, it's actually the side of the leg.

I could be wrong; I suggested talking to someone who knows. Pulling out a science textbook is not always the best resource when someone is describing where pain occurs and determining what is causing it. When I went to see my Osteopath, I assumed my knee was screwed up because that is where the pain occurs. It turns out it's my IT Band, and the stress is actually more coming from problems in my hips.

Since the pain occurs when running, it's also a decent assumption since IT Band issues are pretty common for runners.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    I was at my osteopath this morning and meant to ask her about this, but forgot.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    Doing the PEI run again this fall!

Rep
    Out for a run today with some of my Cabot Trail Relay teammates - 14.5k loop from the Armdale Rotary out towards York Redoubt - felt great, no pain in my knee was the biggest accomplishment, and the first time I've ever done that distance without doing 10-and-1's. It's a great spot for a run, especially if you want some hills.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    17.5k this morning. I should be good distance wise for my ~19k leg at the Cabot Trail... still time to concentrate on some speed/interval training.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    I have about 10K on my $200 running shoes. I need to really get back to this

Rep
    Do it!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    Going to attempt to do a bit of outdoor running this spring/summer I think.

Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Going to attempt to do a bit of outdoor running this spring/summer I think.
    Im also going to start running outdoors. I enjoy the track runs ive been doing at the CGC but I want to start incorporating inclines and declines into the run.

I think Point Pleasant Park will be a great place to start running

Rep
    It's been so long since I've run. It pisses me off because I had built my stamina up pretty good there for a bit. I want to feel like that again.

Rep
    18.5k out the Purcell's Cove Road this morning - beautiful morning for a run!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    There is a run in Point Pleasant Park tonight starting at 6:00 in support of Boston. Wear Boston Marathon colors (blue/yellow), no MP3 players/headphones.

I'll be there.
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    Great turnout at Point Pleasant tonight!
    elgranto sits on babies.

Rep
    1.65mile run at the track in CGC. Slowly working on consistency for the 6km Mud Hero run, 5km Spartan Race and 5km WarriorDash this summer.

Rep
    I've been aiming for a sub-50 minute 10k for quite a while - it's been elusive; the thought of keeping up a 5:00'/km pace over 10k has always been a tough one. I set out this morning thinking I'd do an easy 10-12k, but hit 5k and saw I was at 25:01 - pick it up just a bit and I'd be under.

The result (I'm pumped!) :

elgranto sits on babies.

Thread Information