Thread: haul truck drivers in the oil sands

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

haul truck drivers in the oil sands

Registered users don't see these ads.
    hello folks, i'm new here so please bare with me if i looking like a rookie.
    does anyone know whats involved in obtaining a job in the oilsands driving those big haul trucks? i'm a 37 year veteren in the trucking industry hauling chemical tankers with my own truck coast to coast in canada and the loads are getting lesser by the week. so i'm looking at other options such as driving haul trucks for say someone like suncor. i understand its very expensive to live in the fort so i was thinking i could put a camper on the back of my 07 silverado 2500HD and live it that while im in fort mcmurray.
    or the other option i have in mind is perhaps driving my 2007 volvo rig and finding tanker work for it in fort mcmurray.
    but i preferr the first option first.
    I have also spent 7 years in the military reserves driving military trucks and with all the experience i have my record is perfect.
    so if anyone can forward me any ifo i would certianly appreicate it.
    many thanks,
    bob.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bob, I'd suggest you read through and post in the Oil Rig thread.

The Schooner, the better.
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You will not get hired in any mine unless you live in Fort McMurray. So my first suggestion is, if you are serious, move here.

Do you have any experience on heavy equipment? A class 1 with your TDG ticket is good, but they look for people with heavy equip experience.

The first step is getting hired on as a mine labourer or lube tech. They will train you on small equip (150 ton trucks, dozers, graders, scrapers) so you can support the mine ops. You have to be the bitch for a while, but its fast to move up because a lot of the people working in the mines are drug addicted idiots.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks i did that.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yes i have my TDG and as i said i have 37 years hauling tractor trailers, chemicals in tankers mostly. and thats what i'm looking for is to drive haul trucks in the mines. but i heard you have to do a college course first?

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    thats absolutely false.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob View Post

The first step is getting hired on as a mine labourer or lube tech.
    What's the rate of pay for these guys? is it over $20/hr? Is it 12 hr shifts, 15 days on, that sort of thing?

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kava View Post
    What's the rate of pay for these guys? is it over $20/hr? Is it 12 hr shifts, 15 days on, that sort of thing?
    Much more than $20/hr.

7 days on/7 days off

6:30 am to 6:30 pm

Day and night shift

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks guys for all your help.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Much more than $20/hr.
    we are still talking about 'mine labourer or lube tech' right? That's what I referred to.

so I assume heavy hauler is even MUCH MUCH more than 20....

and thanks for the info there.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soldierbob View Post
    i understand its very expensive to live in the fort so i was thinking i could put a camper on the back of my 07 silverado 2500HD and live it that while im in fort mcmurray.
    I thought of this very thing too, but I have a feeling they crack down on that. I've heard of folks renting out their driveways for that purpose.

Is the walmart parking lot full of campers and conversion vans, or are they being kicked out? for example.....

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm thinkin anyone who wants to sleep in a camper, hasn't spent any time in -40 weather lately...

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    we are still talking about 'mine labourer or lube tech' right? That's what I referred to.

so I assume heavy hauler is even MUCH MUCH more than 20....

and thanks for the info there.
    Mine labourers and Lube tech's drive equipment too. There is a lot of support and maintenance that has to be completed for operations. The rookies run the smaller dozers, graders, gravel trucks, 777 haul trucks and wiggle wagons. They also fuel up the 797 haul trucks and shovels, move big equip around for the Maintenance guys and do whatever else needs to be done to keep the operations running smoothly.

Heavy hauler and shovel operators get paid extremely well because they are the guys that keep the plant running. If the mine is inefficient, the entire plant suffers remember.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What the hell is a "haul" truck driver?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I thought of this very thing too, but I have a feeling they crack down on that. I've heard of folks renting out their driveways for that purpose.

Is the walmart parking lot full of campers and conversion vans, or are they being kicked out? for example.....

Why would anyone want to live in a camper when they can rent a room in a house for $600-800 a month. Don't believe the horror stories you have heard in the past about 8 guys living on bunk beds in a garage or 10 guys sharing a house. That doesn't happen.

The people that live in RV's or campers year round up here know what they are doing. If you drive by the campground in Gregoire, all you see are 5th wheels and travel trailers covered in 2 inch thick insulation and reflective tape to keep the heat in. Its retarded.

If you're going to make $100-150k a year, spend a little bit of cash and rent a room in a warm fucking house.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP® View Post
    What the hell is a "haul" truck driver?

Haul trucks are the biggest trucks in the world. Haul truck driver is the operator of said truck.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @billybob,

ok, awesome info there, thanks for all that.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haul trucks are the biggest trucks in the world. Haul truck driver is the operator of said truck.

Never heard them referred to as that. Neat.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; It's about learning to dance in the rain.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok this is all greattt info but how hard is it for a guy of 54 yrs old and 37 years of tractor/trailer experience hauling dangerous chemicals in tankers coast to coast in canada to get a good paying job in fort mcmurray with no other experience other than driving trucks?

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Might be tough to get on with one of the mines. But theres tons of options for truckers.

Tuc's Contracting
    Eveready
    BK Trucking
    Golosky Trucking
    Grimshaw Trucking
    Pioneer Truck Lines
    DKC Trucking
    Dukes Transportation
    AFD

Those are just the companies I deal with. Theres countless trucking companies in Ft Mac. If you can safely pull Super B tankers around, you're worth $100k a year up here minimum.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ehh boys, here's a decent youtube video about the trucks, but even maintaining them etc. Like the guy who spends his whole 12 hr shift powerspraying, or those "lube techs" that billybob mentioned, changing air filters and what not...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_v0pA7emFo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_v0pA7emFo[/ame]

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey thanks, yes i can pull super b's, i rather stick with tankers if i cant drive those haul trucks. what if i was to take my own truck out there? what do the owner operators make a year there?
    Last edited by soldierbob; 11-21-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I honestly don't know. I don't deal with many owner/operators.

I think it would be safe to assume they make ~200k including labour and equipment costs.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Something to think about. Working in the mines is not always butterflies and roses. Theres about 4-5 deaths a year up here usually associated with the big machinery. This accident occured yesterday:

A serious incident involving two heavy hauler trucks in Syncrude's Mildred Lake North Mine site fatally injured one driver late this morning. The other driver was transported to Northern Lights Regional Hospital and is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy at our site," said Tom Katinas, President and Chief Executive Officer. "We extend our heartfelt sympathies to the families and friends of the drivers involved. Our focus is to provide them with the support they need at this difficult time."

Syncrude Emergency Response personnel attended the scene that is now secured for the investigation. RCMP and Occupational Health and Safety have been notified and are now on site.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thats does'nt deter me in anyway, i've trucked across north america for over 30 years and seen many tragic accidents, it happens in any job etc. there are many different reasons why these accidents happen.

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm doing some research for school, does anybody know what the starting wage for a 797 hauler truck driver is? After 2 years? 5?
    Thanks
    Last edited by jolew; 01-22-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone have any tips to get a job driving the 797 haul trucks?
    I think I have a pretty good résumé
    Grade12,H2S,CSTS,Whimis,clean abstract,no criminal record.
    But absolutely no experience lol

n00b
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyflower7@ms View Post
    Anyone have any tips to get a job driving the 797 haul trucks?
    I think I have a pretty good résumé
    Grade12,H2S,CSTS,Whimis,clean abstract,no criminal record.
    But absolutely no experience lol
    Truck drivers are use heavy vehicles such as haul packs to transport goods and materials from one area to another area. Truck drivers in the minerals industry may perform the following tasks, 1. Check brakes, oil, tyres, electrical systems, water, hydraulics and air, 2. Load, or supervise loading, material onto the truck, 3. Transport material to destination, and 4. Maintain log books.

Thread Information