PDA

View Full Version : Mizoo's / Mishoo's

ingress
04-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Fire destroys Herring Cove corner store
Operator of business hopes to reopen
By STEVE BRUCE Staff Reporter

Monday started out like any other day for Abd-Al Rhman Al-Tememe, who operates Mizoo’s Convenience Store in Herring Cove.
But when he stopped for coffee on his way to work at about 7:45 a.m., he learned his livelihood had been destroyed in an early morning fire.
"One of my customers works at the Tim Hortons and she told me, ‘Your store is on fire,’ " said a dazed Mr. Al-Tememe, known in the community as Mason.
"I said, ‘What?’ "
His worst fears were realized as he approached the store at 179 Hebridean Dr., in the heart of Herring Cove. Fire trucks lined the road and an excavator was knocking down the charred remains.
Flames were shooting from the roof of the building when Herring Cove volunteer firefighters arrived at about 4 a.m. They were soon joined by firefighters from the Harrietsfield-Sambro, Lakeside and Prospect Road brigades, as well as one truck from Halifax.
It took about three hours for the blaze to be extinguished. The cause of the fire has not been determined.
Doug Burgess, deputy chief of the Herring Cove brigade, said firefighters had a hard time getting at the blaze because of the steel doors and window bars that had been installed as security measures.
A female firefighter slipped and fell at the scene, spraining her wrist.
Mizoo’s was the only convenience store in Herring Cove. Residents of the village on the outskirts of Halifax now face a five-kilometre drive to the nearest store in Spryfield.
The building also housed a pizza shop called Emileo’s Snack Bar.
Building owner Mike Saoud, who leased space to the two businesses, said he had insurance and plans to rebuild.
Like Mr. Al-Tememe, Mr. Saoud didn’t hear about the fire until it was over.
"I’m in shock," Mr. Saoud said. "I don’t know what to say."
Mr. Saoud used to run the store himself before deciding to lease it out.
He said there’s been a store at that spot for more than 80 years. When the building was owned by the Harrigan family, it had gas pumps and also served as an Acadian Lines bus stop.
"Right now, I feel bad for people who don’t have a car and need something from a store," Mr. Saoud said. "They’re going to miss it."
Mr. Al-Tememe said he took over the store three years ago and worked about 75 hours a week. He also had an employee, who put in about 20 hours per week
He said he would like to reopen at the same location "as fast as possible."
"It’s my store," he said. "I like this place."
Mr. Saoud kept the building in good shape, Mr. Al-Tememe said.
"The building was inspected every six months," he said. "I don’t know what happened."
Wallace Scallion, who lives less than 100 metres away on Margaret Lorne Drive, said the flames were visible over the trees from his house.
"It was very spectacular," Mr. Scallion said.
"They’d knock the fire down a bit and you’d see it flame right back up."
Two 13-year-old boys who live in the area sat on a rock wall across the street Monday morning, watching the excavator level the building.
"There goes our hangout," Ryan Hennessey said to his friend, Connor Miller.
"We’ve still got the old wall, though."
’I’m in shock. I don’t know what to say.’

Stang
04-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Hopefully he was able to save all those winning lottery tickets. :lol:

TyTryon
04-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Noooo, I liked that spot.

LeMar
04-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Noooo, not Mishoos!! :( Sooooooooo sad. I hope Mike is able to rebuild and all that good stuff.

LeMar
04-10-2007, 09:06 AM
OK, and now I have beef with the paper. I grew up out there, going to that store.... everyone called him mike, and it was called Mishoos.... mizoos, mason.... wtf??

TyTryon
04-10-2007, 09:10 AM
It's pronounced Mishoo's but it's spelled with a Z...

LeMar
04-10-2007, 09:13 AM
He must have changed his sign then,... because when I lived out there it was Mishoo's Variety :shrug:

ingress
04-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I thought it was Mishoo's as well

TyTryon
04-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure of the exact spelling, all I know is that it isn't pronounced how it's spelled, and there is a Z there somewhere.

TyTryon
04-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I have pics coming, will post in a minute.

TheDirtyFresh
04-10-2007, 09:58 AM
A female firefighter slipped and fell at the scene, spraining her wrist.

Oh the humanity!!! I wonder why they felt that little nugget of information was vital to this story?

PDizzle
04-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Is this the place across from the 500 block?

TyTryon
04-10-2007, 10:21 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/TyTryon/IMG_0626.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/TyTryon/IMG_0622.jpg

TyTryon
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Is this the place across from the 500 block?

No, it's where the Purcells Cove Road bends on the way up to Herring Cove Road/Ketch Harbour Road.

Pottie
04-10-2007, 10:25 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hopefully Mike can rebuild bigger and better.

I'll never forget the morning after Hurricane Juan. My mother and I had walked down into Herring Cove to check out the damage. Mike had no power, but his store was open. We decided to stop and grab a couple things, some water, and some bread I think. We then realized between the two of us that we had no cash (and of course, no power means no debit). Mike just says "Thats fine, go ahead, I have to clear out my fridges anyway. Just get me another time" He was doing this for everyone.

This makes me sad.

ingress
04-10-2007, 10:40 AM
It is sad that is the second Halifax commercial landmark to burn down this year

~*SuzieQ*~
04-10-2007, 10:41 AM
It was Mishoos when Mike owned/operated, when he rented it out to the other guy they changed the name to Miszoos and Mike reopened Mishoos in Sambro!

nb132
04-10-2007, 11:03 AM
suzieq that picture is fuckin creepy eh. kid is cute..bunny looks creepy.

Relentless
04-10-2007, 07:24 PM
OK, and now I have beef with the paper. I grew up out there, going to that store.... everyone called him mike, and it was called Mishoos.... mizoos, mason.... wtf??

Mike is the owner and Mason is the guy who ran it for the past three years.

~*SuzieQ*~
04-10-2007, 08:06 PM
suzieq that picture is fuckin creepy eh. kid is cute..bunny looks creepy.

haha yea it is kinda creepy lol

Ron Mexico
04-10-2007, 10:18 PM
on your bank statements the debit shows up as Mizoo's